- Strong and long-lasting effect of antimicrobial plastics through continuous release of silver ions.
- Effective against a wide spectrum of pathogenic bacteria in compliance with the specifications of standard JIS Z 801.
- Effective reduction in odour production and exceptional skin tolerance
- Dermatologically tested (SGS Institut Fresenius GmbH Germany)
- Antimicrobial silver substance exhibits no adverse effect on physical properties as well as forming properties of the thermoplastics
Thermoplastics with antibacterial effect protect the user's skin and the prosthesis socket against a wide spectrum of different microorganisms. The user benefits from the significant reduction in odours and discolourations caused by microbes as well as the longer life of the socket. These additives thus ensure a more pleasant wearing behaviour and a feeling of well-being for the skin.
The SKINGUARD® Technology family brand encompasses various silver technologies such as Sanitized® and SilverShield®.
The antibacterial and odour-reducing properties of our thermoplastics are accomplished through the use of SilverShield® technology. In cooperation with North Sea Plastics, this innovative technology has gained entrance into the field of orthopaedics.
What is the SilverShield® technology?
SilverShield® technology is the first antibacterial product range of thermoplastics available for orthopaedic applications. SilverShield® plastics contain an antibacterial substance: Silver (Argentum). Thanks to its natural antibacterial properties, silver has been used in a wide range of applications for about 3,000 years: In ancient Greece and Rome as well as in the Middle Ages it was used to disinfect water and store food. At the end of the 19th century, silver was proven to be an antibacterial substance. Since then the efficiency and safety of the metal has been well established.
Efficient Reduction of Odour Production
SilverShield® technology achieves its antimicrobial effect through the use of silver in the manufacture of plastics. The silver ions bonded to the plastic efficiently fight a wide spectrum of pathogenic bacteria and guarantee excellent skin tolerance. Additionally, the antibacterial effect makes the SilverShield® plastics particularly suitable for reducing production of odour. However, it should be emphasized that SilverShield® Technology is not aimed at infection prevention.