The starting gun for a Paralympic career
In 2016 Léon travelled to Rio de Janeiro at short notice as a member of the reserve team and experienced his first Paralympic Games there. Since then, his sporting career has taken off in every sense. In 2017 Léon won a bronze medal in the long jump at the World Para Athletics Championships in London. It was also in London that he made his first appearance as an Ottobock ambassador.
“Many successful athletes serve as ambassadors for Ottobock – Marlou van Rhijn, Anna Schaffelhuber and Heinrich Popow. It’s special to be one of them.”
Léon Schäfer, track and field athlete and Ottobock ambassador
Running Clinics – for the love of sports
In future, Léon will be supporting his friend and mentor Heinrich Popow at the Running Clinics. Ottobock and Heinrich Popow teamed up to develop the Running Clinics, which give amputees around the world the opportunity to test running blades and (re)discover their love of sport in the process. Léon is undergoing intensive training so he can work alongside Heinrich at the clinics.
“I’m excited to have Léon along,” said Heinrich. “The Running Clinics are sort of my baby. It’s always incredible to see people so happy when they run again for the first time. Léon has his heart in the right place and an attitude that will touch and motivate people.” Besides their friendship and the activities they both carry out on behalf of Ottobock, Heinrich and Léon are connected in another very special way: Léon’s sport prosthesis was the project Heinrich submitted for his final examination as an O&P professional.
Victories and achievements
- World Para Athletics Championships Dubai 2019: gold in long jump (6.90 m)
- World Para Athletics Championships Dubai 2019: silver in 100 m (12.34 sec)
- World Para Athletics Championships London 2017: bronze in long jump (6.25 m)
- World Para Athletics Championships London 2017: gold in 4 x 100 m (42.81 sec)
- Rio 2016 Paralympic Games: 4th place in long jump
- Nationality: German
- Year of birth: 1997
- Sport: track and field (100 m, 200 m and long jump)
- Classification: T63
- Coach: Karl-Heinz Düe
- Club: TSV Bayer 04 Leverkusen
- Devices: for sports: 3S80 and 1E91, in daily life: Genium X3