Fitness for Amputees App:
Daily training made easy
Exercises for leg prosthetic users
The Fitness for Amputees app includes a range of easy-to-follow exercises specifically designed by experienced physiotherapists at Ottobock for people with a unilateral leg amputation. Over 25,000 amputees around the world use the app for targeted physical fitness and increasing their strength. As a result, the Fitness for Amputees App is now available in 11 different languages: English, German, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, Finnish, Swedish, Chinese, Italian and Russian.
Exercises from the Stretch & Relax module:
- improve flexibility
- help the muscles to relax
- and promote a faster regeneration after working out
Combined with the Strength & Endurance and Coordination & Balance modules, the app now offers a holistic training programme.
Download the free Fitness for Amputees app now from the app stores and take your daily fitness programme to the next level.
Getting stronger every day
To get the most out of the programme, Ottobock physiotherapists recommend training 2 to 3 times each week for 5 to 11 minutes, switching regularly between the three modules.
It’s not always easy, but it’s always worth it! As confirmed by users of the app:
- “Thanks to this app I am getting stronger every day.” Debra Cummings
- “Been amputee 12 years and [this] is probably the most comprehensive programme I have found.” Fluffynubby bennett
Further highlights of the app
- 3 levels of intensity: Exercises can be individually chosen to suit to the amputee’s physical condition.
- Selection of exercises: Amputees can either complete a predefined training programme or create their own individual one.
- Statistics function: Lets users keep an eye on their own progress and gain an overview of the number of exercises already completed.
Strength & Endurance
The first module in the app demonstrates classic exercises for strength and endurance training without the prosthesis. The aim is to strengthen the upper body muscles and to stabilise the spine. This is the foundation for a natural gait pattern.
Coordination & Balance
Module two focuses on balance and coordination training with the prosthesis. Exercises focusing on simple sequences of movement support the users in gaining better control of their prosthesis in everyday life.
Stretch & Relax
The third module includes stretch and relax exercises without the prosthesis for cooling down after each workout. The exercises help to promote a faster regeneration and improve flexibility.