Thursday, 11. January 2018
Visionaries set their sights on the future of prosthetics at SXSW
Aimee Mullins, Hugh Herr and Hans Georg Näder to offer inspiration at South by Southwest 2018
At South by Southwest (SXSW) 2018, three leading minds in the field of prosthetics will be standing on stage together for the first time – and they will be discussing how visionary ideas and innovations will revolutionise human bionics:
- Aimee Mullins has walked with prosthetic legs since the age of two and has been at the forefront of prosthetic innovation for over twenty years. As the first person on carbon-fiber sprinting legs she set three world records in track and field, and her subsequent work has made her an icon in the worlds of fashion, design and art. She is one of the youngest inductees into the National Women’s Hall of Fame.
- Professor Dr Hugh Herr is the head of the “Center for Extreme Bionics” at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). An expert in biomechanics, Herr developed the world’s first active prosthetic foot at his company, BionX. He himself is a double amputee.
- Professor Hans Georg Näder is leading Ottobock in its third generation and has used his visionary strength to make the company the global market leader in the field of technical orthopaedics. The company’s growth is also driven by acquisitions, such as that of BionX in March 2017, and by the partnership with Hugh Herr.
SXSW will be held from 9 to 18 March in Austin, Texas – which is also home to Ottobock’s headquarters in the USA. The convergence of leading thinkers from every corner of the globe combines conferences, festivals and exhibitions highlighting interactive media, music, film, gaming and comedy – and was attended by more than 420,000 people last year. “SXSW is an inspiring environment for creative minds in various industries, and it brings extremely diverse ideas and topics together,” said Hans Georg Näder. “For this reason, it’s a particular pleasure to have the opportunity to share my knowledge and visions there together with Hugh Herr and Aimee Mullins, so we can drive the future of prosthetics forward.”
- Aimee Mullins_credit Kenneth Willardt.jpg [ JPG | 221.16 kB ]
- Hugh Herr.jpg [ JPG | 1.45 MB ]
- Hans Georg Naeder, credit Paulus Ponizak.jpg [ JPG | 8.69 MB ]
- Logo SXSW [ JPG | 18.44 kB ]
Mark C. Schneider
Head of Investor Relations / Corporate Communications
Otto Bock HealthCare GmbH,
Ebertstr. 15a, 10117 Berlin, Germany
Phone: +49 (0)30 398 206 222
Mobile: 49 (0)151-146 591 35